Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Something New

Three new regular sections (like daily! - like daily, now, not actually daily, that's too much). First, a pithy bon mot about political events. Because I am so very tired of vituperative falsehood that I must shout my corrections into the great void of social media. Second, an update on my fantasy football team. Because if I put it first, you wouldn't read the blog and if I left it until the end, you wouldn't read about my teams (that's right, plural). Duh. And finally, an update on my cocktail experience of the day. Right now, this blog is ugly and dull and this paragraph is also dull. I will fix all of these things. After my next drink . . .

Political Thought of the Day: 


If every issue has the same exaggerated moral weight, than all issues might as well have no moral weight at all. To steal from an outrageously good movie: If every issue is special, then no issue is special.

Fantasy Football Update: 

My bench outscored my starters in one league. I won the two matchups in leagues that I play in but don't really care about yet. Water is wet. Statistics soon to follow.

My quest to become the perfect mixologist in my own home on my own terms starts with the International Bartenders Association list of Official Cocktails.

Cocktail(s) of the Day:


A. The Stinger:
  1. 5 cl cognac
  2. 2 cl creme de menthe
This tastes about how you think it would: like somebody ruined the flavor of a fine liquor with mint. I don't even know how this constitutes a classic. I'm going to forget I ever made one.

B. The Sidecar

  1. 5 cl cognac
  2. 2 cl Cointreau (or Orange liqueur)
  3. 2 cl Lemon juice
Alton Brown believes the Sidecar is the precursor to the margarita (apologies for the ads). I believe that this is a fantastic drink, if you are craving something sweet, but not cloying or deadened by heavy handed mixers. Go easier on the lemon juice (or use fresh) and use high quality orange liqueurs for the best results, IMO.

No comments:

Post a Comment